Inv. Scu 1898
The pedestal consists of a plinth decorated with a listel, a “cyma reversa” moulding, a fillet and a band, coarsely carved with a chisel. The lower side and the back are not visible.
The current upper surface has perhaps been reworked and the base has lost its crowning. The corners of the upper surface show two small holes filled with concrete.
On the front side of the dado the inscribed area is framed by a listel, a “cyma reversa” moulding and a further listel; the upper left corner, including a considerable part of the inscribed area, consists in a recomposed fragment.
The funerary inscription, articulated in eighteen lines, commemorates Sempronius Firmus. A gap filled with concrete is visible in correspondence with the fracture. Minor nicks are present in the inscribed area.
The pedestal can be dated to the 2nd century AD.
Found perhaps near the Church of San Salvatore in Campo, the pedestal was formerly displayed in the Horti Giustiniani.