Inv. Scu 1065
Displayed alongside the fragmentary remains of the Colossal statue of Constantine, this globe is believed to be the object once held in the fragmentary hand preserved here.
The globe was known as the “Ball of Samson”. Scholars believe the globe was once topped by small statue, perhaps a Victory.
An etching by Nicolas Van Aelst, copied in a smaller scale from Vaccaria’s “Ornamenti”, shows this globe set on a milestone of the Via Appia XXX while, in 1504, it was placed on the balustrade of the Square of the Capitol.