Inv. Scu 243
The sculptural group, originally destined to a funerary chamber, features a woman sitting on a low chair with her son standing at her side on the left; the woman wears a long-sleeved tunic girt just below the breast and mantle, lent on the left shoulder, which also covers the legs. The wavy hair, parted at centre, is tied back in a bun. Her hand rests on her son’s shoulders.
Because of the plump features of the boy’s face, the group has been sometimes interpreted as “Agrippina and Nero“; however, the head, though ancient, may not be pertinent to the sculptural group.
Formerly displayed in the Vatican Belvedere, the group was part of the donation made by Pius V to the Roman people in 1566. Transferred to the Capitol Hill, the sculpture was first displayed in the Palazzo dei Conservatori, and from the seventeenth century, in the Palazzo Nuovo; after having been placed in the Sala del Fauno and the Sala delle Colombe, it was moved to its present location before 1775.