Inv. Scu 401
The portrait features a young woman with the head slightly tilted to the right; the face is characterized by a smooth and relaxed complexion, slanting eyes with iris and pupil incised, brushy eyebrows and fleshy lips. The head originally was made to fit a statue.
The curly hair, parted in the centre, is arranged in an elaborate coiffure consisting in wavy locks drawn back and tied up in a broad band of six plaits; loose curls frame the forehead and fall to either side of the neck.
The portrait dates back to the first half of the 3rd century AD.
Formerly in the collection of cardinal Alessandro Albani, the sculpture was acquired for the Capitoline Museum in 1733.